Tibidabo
Things are starting to accelerate. The Johnsons got here this week, and came into the office on Friday to start learning. It is great to really have them here. It feels like we will actually be able to hand off the mission functional responsibility that we feel. We want to make sure that we set things up for success as best we can. It also helps that the Johnsons are absolutely delightful. He sang for 20 years in the Tabernacle Choir. She was on a 12 year service mission to travel around to the temples to do all of their interior flower arrangements and has some wonderful stories to tell. Since Saturday was their first p-day here, they wanted to go and do something and we thought it would be fun to finally go up to Tibidabo. We ended up taking the Larrosas with us as well. It turned out to be a lot of fun.
Tibidabo is the tallest hill near Barcelona. On top is a church that took 60 years to build. I think they were afraid that attendance would be a problem since it is on the top of a mountain, they decided to build an amusement park right by it. The views are spectacular. Apparently the name Tibidabo comes from the latin words used to relate the temptation of Jesus when the devil told Him that if he would fall down and worship him that he would give the world to Him. I think that is why there is a statue of the Savior on top of the cathedral. We paid the fee to go clear up to the very top and see the amazing views. It was pretty fun. We didn't ride any rides, and that was fine. Gaudi made sure that Sagrada Familia would not be taller than Tibidabo mountain because he believed that nothing man made should be taller than God's creation.
After we got home, we were able to call the family which is always wonderful. We were able to catch Alicia right after she finished her first triathlon which was amazing. It is wonderful to see our kids try new things. All I know is that if I were to try a triathlon, it would be arranged perfectly because the swim is first which means that I would drown before I would have to do the long bike ride and all that running!
Today, we had the Johnsons and the Sister Missionaries over for dinner. The sisters are the Senior Training Leaders and they are magnificent. I am very impressed with the Spirit that they bring and how focussed on the Savior they are. Sister Diaz is from Panama and speaks English better than I do! Sister Taylor has flaming red hair and so it is easy for me to remember when she arrived in the mission. I remember her being quiet and a little nervous when she got here, but now she teaches with power as they shared a spiritual thought with us. It's amazing to see the change that comes from truly embracing their missionary purpose and serving with all of their might. We love it.
Just as I was sitting down to write this we heard a bunch of singing outside and saw a bunch of soccer fans marching down the street stopping traffic. I was able to catch it on video. They do love their futbol here! I would hate to think what would happen if this group ran into a similar group from FC Barcelona! That could potentially get ugly.
Things are starting to warm up, and by the end of the week we may even hit 80 degrees if the weather app on my watch is to be believed. We may even have to actually turn on the AC. We shall see. Last year in June, the trees that line the streets that we pass on the way to work blossomed beautiful yellow flowers. I hope we get to see that again this year. This really is a neat place to serve.
We hope you have a fantastic week!

Comments
Post a Comment