The Walters Are Here!


 This week has been pretty special for us. Alicia and her sweet family showed up for a couple of days to spend time with us before their cruise. We started the week with trying to get things done ahead of time so that we could take time off with the kids. So, Monday and Tuesday were pretty long days. They installed a new security system because of the breakin, and so we're a little nervous about always being the first in the office to get the code entered before the cops get called. We now have special codes to enter and special "key" words to use if the alarm gets tripped. It probably cost the Church more than we would lose in a dozen break-ins, but it does give us a little better sense of security. 

On Tuesday we also were able to tune into the Funeral of Linda Van Dolzer, Heather's dear mother. It was a very sweet tribute to a very sweet lady. Heather did an amazing job speaking, and the kids sang "Gethsemane" accompanied by Peter at the piano. The Spirit was very strong.

On Wednesday, we took the mission van to the airport to pick up Alicia. I really don't like driving that tank, but if I didn't take it, Brenda wouldn't have been able to go with me to the airport, and she was NOT to be denied. We got there, and got parked just in time. We didn't have to wait 5 minutes for them to appear after getting through customs. What a joyous, wonderful, reunion! They were jet-lagged out of their minds, of course, but there were smiles all around. We drove back to our place, I dropped everyone off, and then drove the van back to the office and picked up our car there. By the time I got back home everyone was pretty settled and trying to keep their eyes open so that they could go to sleep on Spain time instead of Utah time. So, we took them over and introduced them to Kebab (pronounced Kay-Bob) which is a middle eastern kind of burrito made with lamb and chicken and a bunch of fresh veggies with the special sauce. YUMMY. The missionaries love them some Kebab because it's delicious, filling, and cheap (covers all three bases). We then jumped on the metro and took them down for a stroll down "The Rambla" which is always fun. Unfortunately, eyes were wanting to start slamming shut, so we didn't spend too much time there, and got them back to the house so they could crash. On Thursday, we took them to "Sagrada Familia" which is the massive cathedral designed by Gaudi. We figured that Mike would appreciate it more than the rest of us because of the architecture involved. We then brought them back to the house while we went up to the office to get some work done. Friday, we took the "hop-on-hop-off bus tour" through Barcelona. It's pretty much an all day experience, and I think we all had a pretty good time. Saturday morning we wished sweet Emily a happy birthday and then I drove them all to the cruise port so that they could get on their boat. We spent the rest of the day doing our normal p-day cleaning/laundry and calling family. Whew!

Today, I am grateful that this is referred to as "The Day of Rest". I took advantage of President Kimball's teaching that a nap is in keeping with the Spirit of the Sabbath day! It's just as well that we are catching our breath because this coming week is zone conferences. The YSA night is also going to be crazy as all of the YSA senior missionaries are going to be in Germany for a conference. I will be filling in teaching Institute on Friday, and we are going to have to go it alone the rest of the night. On Saturday, I'll be picking up the Walters again for a few short days before we have to put them on an airplane home. 

It has been a great reminder for me of the fact that my family is, by far, the most important thing in my life. Nothing else even comes close. The prospect of having my loved ones around me for eternity is what makes the Savior's sacrifice so very sweet for me. I owe Him everything! I hope that this coming week is an exciting one for you all. You're in our prayers and we love you billions.

Click for Pics

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Crazy Transfer Week!

Russell M. Nelson 1924 - 2025

Catching Up