6 Oct 2024
We had a pretty amazing week this week. We got to participate in a "Senior Missionary Conference" in a place called Tarragona. During the conference we were asked to introduce ourselves and talk about our responsibilities. It was nice to get to know the other senior missionaries a little and get some instruction from President and Sister Heckmann. The more we get to know them, the more we love them. We also went on a guided tour of ancient Roman ruins through the town which has been built up around them. It was really fascinating. The tour guide spoke in pretty rapid Spanish, but I was able to get the gist of what he was telling us. Sometime if you want to be bored to tears I'll talk about what I learned, but one site kind of stood out to me. It was the ancient gladiator ring. When the persecution of the Christians was at a high point, they took the local Bishop and two of his deacons and killed them in the ring. Later the Christians built a church in the middle of the ring. Both are in ruins, but you can still see the wall outline of the cathedral right in the middle of the arena. History is a pretty fascinating thing. The conference was Monday through Wednesday which meant that if we didn't go into the office before we left on Monday, and then right after we got back on Wednesday we would have had to fit a weeks worth of work into two days. So we kind of blunted that pain by putting in a few extra hours Monday morning and Wednesday afternoon. (No good vacation goes unpunished)
I ended up having to drive the mission car and pick up a couple at the airport that flew in from the islands. Their initial flight was denied because the security didn't like their residency status. We ended up having to book a later flight for them and so we all got to the Conference later than everyone else. Yes, I still don't like driving here! Turns out the the problems with parking, and narrow streets are just as bad away from Barcelona as they are in Barcelona.
On Thursday, we were able to sit in on a discussion that the Assistants gave to a young lady who is excited to prepare herself for baptism. She has a lot of baggage in her life that she is doing her best to overcome, but she is excited about the possibilities. She was sharing some of her favorite Book of Mormon scriptures with us. The only problem was that she speaks Spanish as fast as an auctioneer, and I was only able to get about a third of what she was saying. It was still a good experience, and the great thing was that she understands English so Brenda was able to say the prayer and participate in the discussion as well which I think meant a lot to her to be able to participate.
On Saturday we went shopping, and took the office elders out for lunch while we were waiting for Conference to start at 6:00 PM. We watched the first two Saturday sessions. The second one got over at midnight, and there was no way we would have been able to stay awake to watched the 3rd session which started at 2:00AM our time. So we went to bed and slept in late. This morning we watched the 3rd Saturday session. What an amazing conference it has been so far! That missionary choir had me sobbing like a little girl. The Spirit of the choir as they sang "we are now the Lord's missionaries" was as thick as I've ever felt it in my life. I am going to really enjoy going back through the talks and really try to dissect each one because they are rich in doctrine, and Celestial promises. I can't wait for the two Sunday sessions (we have to find out how many temples are going to be announced!) The office Elders were making their guesses, and it will be fun to see who came the closest. Once again the first session starts at 6:00PM our time so it's going to be another late night.
We are certainly being led by Prophets, Seers, and Revelators! Brenda and I are extremely grateful for the sacred opportunity to wear these black name tags and be representatives for our Savior here in Spain. Yes, we miss our family, however, we know that we are doing exactly what the Lord would have us be doing. This conference has been extra special for us because of the precious opportunity that we have to serve during the season of our lives. Even though sitting at a desk in front of a computer all day is tough, it's extra special because when I'm stuck, I can plead for Heaven's help, and have it come! It's a marvelous thing. We love you all, and hope that this conference has been as special for you as it has for us.

Comments
Post a Comment